Skip to main content

Is Trump inadvertently saving Europe from itself?

Whisper it, but Europe is changing.

UK prime minister Keir Starmer announced yesterday that his country will commit 2.5% of GDP to defence, which will later be increased to 3%.

Germany's Merz, who won the elections on Sunday and is likely to become the new chancellor, has warned that NATO might soon be dead and vowed to make Europe 'independent' from America.

France's Macron is considering extending its nuclear shield to Germany.

If you haven't noticed, Europe is preparing for war. It doesn't mean that a war is definitely coming, but it does mean that if war does come, Europe might be prepared. And the best way to avoid a war is to have strong deterrents in place, anyway. I've ranted extensively about Europe's (especially Germany's) inability to protect itself, and seeing Europe's leaders talk defence seriously is refreshing. It is, of course, not a coincidence that all of this is happening right after Trump's radical change of rhetoric about Ukraine. Trump has managed the impossible: he's going to make Europeans spend on defence.

I guess all we can do for now is wait and see what happens. Is a European army on the cards? How would a new European defence setup look like, and how would it relate to the EU? Who would a European army take orders from? Will EU's president Ursula von der Leyen seize the opportunity to centralise even more power to Brussels?

Popular posts from this blog

The UK needs more, not less, austerity

  First of all let me say that this is a hill I’m willing to die on. In fact, when I hit “publish” and Starmer’s thought police inevitably come knocking on my door, I will proudly tell them that I regret none of what I’m about to write. My goal with this article is to divide my readers into two groups: the ones who love austerity (most of you will fall into this category by the time I’m done brainwashing you) and the ones who never have, and never will, understand the intricacies of primary school maths. Let’s start with a definition: what is austerity? Austerity is a broad term used to refer to policies that reduce the deficit/debt of a country, either via spending cuts, increased taxation, or both. The objective is to drive the deficit (and ultimately the debt) down, something that can hardly be argued is a bad thing to do, especially in countries that face the challenges of a rapidly ageing population. Quick note for everyone: the deficit is the difference between what the state...

Introduction

Each one of us has a set of guiding principles that shape our thought. These may be principles we have blindly inherited from our family, surroundings, or cultural exposure, or they may be ideas we have spent countless hours actively thinking about and debating, maybe even changing our mind a few times along the way before ultimately settling on a set of core principles we felt comfortable with. Regardless of where your principles come from, or how you came to holding them dear, I believe that the vast majority of us have at least some of these in common, and that it is very rare for someone to have a completely unoverlapping set of core beliefs with the rest of the population. Extremes do exist, of course, but I (maybe naively) believe that most people are good-natured, and that at least on the theoretical plane common ground can be found with almost anyone. Before we get to my core beliefs, I should say three things. The first is that core principles can translate differently into ac...

Italy’s love for the big state is a cultural remnant of fascism

 Today we are going to make Italians mad. And no, we will not be breaking spaghetti – something that my Italian family has been doing for generations, no, centuries, before TikTok videos started circulating claiming that Italians don’t break spaghetti. We do, in fact, break our spaghetti, just like any sane person with a functioning brain would do when the spaghetti clearly doesn't fit into the pot. I actually used to sometimes not break my spaghetti, but now I always do so out of spite: it gives me both physical and emotional pleasure to know that the Italian gods are frowning upon my heartless breaking of spaghetti. As much as I would love to talk about how only people living in a hopeless country could get brutally angry about other people’s freedom to break spaghetti, and how this relates to Italy still being a fundamentally fascist-loving country at heart, the topic I suggest for today is the following: the link between Italians loving the big state and Italy having experienc...